Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Homecoming

Another game has been cast down from my Hall of Shame. Clean out your desk Homeworld, you're outta here!

Original image located here. Accessed 24th October 2018 


Man has this been a long time coming. It was released in 1999, I got the game off the shelf in 2009 and then I complete it in 2018. Of course I could've waited out another year but why on earth would I do that?

Anywho, this game is nothing short of impressive - even with the time of nineteen years. I could say that the novelty of the 3d would be enough but the game truly excels with it's narrative, it's presentation and the music - notably the use of Barber's Adagio for Strings and Yes' The Ladder.
Indeed, this is game that has truly benefited from a revamp by Gearbox, adding to the beauty and immersion tenfold. 

Of course these words are typed through the perspective of a) having played through the revamp and b) the distance of nineteen years since it's original release. But what I find particularly fascinating is that time was not ravaged this game at all. It still has an impressiveness that a lot of modern games can only dream of and is still as compelling, and still quite capable of being heart rendering.  

In fact, one gets the feeling the destruction of Kharak is the PC's answer to the PlayStation's death of Aerith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment