Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Just a Girl

A story:

I was ten years old. I was attending a super-session at my local arcade parlor (Time Zone) where people could have unlimited credits on any game for a limited time period. I decided I wanted to play the Terminator 2 arcade game so I headed for the machine and I teamed up with someone else. That someone else was a female: she looked several years older than me (mid-to late teens) but we both had a go at blowing away the T-800 Endoskeletons.
Thing is, I didn't discriminate, I didn't make fun of her because she was a girl, and i didn't it think it unusual for a girl to play games. No, I was just glad that she could blow away the Endoskeletons with ease.

I've heard stories in the present of all women are discriminated against because they show an interest in a field that is, traditionally, a male-dominated field. But I have never done such a thing. i could've at the young age of ten but I didn't. And I, into adulthood, have played with female gamers but never once been horrible or discriminatory.
If anything, all i ask of any female gamer is that they have my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment