Monday, October 30, 2017

Pax'd Up

Last weekend I was in Melbourne - so I made an unplanned visit to PAX.
Never been to a PAX before but from what I gathered from those in the US, it's a major convention being one of the biggest and most important one's on the convention circuit and a nothing less than a big deal.

So I went in and the first thing that grabbed me was the stalls where various new tech was being plugged. The area all these stalls were in were in in poorly lit areas and featured lots of loud music and neon lighting - an experience akin to being in a rave.
But getting past that initial experience, I spent little time in the tech area. But what i did see were crowds of people gathering around to see what was on offer and snapping up free stuff where available. But strangely seeing what was new didn't interest me - I've been suckered into what was 'new' before only to emerge disappointed. Thus there is a wisdom in being cautious.

What really interested me however was what was happening in the area outside of the 'new' stuff: there were tables of DnD players, various stalls plugging non-electronic gaming wares, and a complete retro gaming section boasting a history of pinball display & games ready to pick up and play. Indeed, it is telling that i spent more time at this retro area than with all the new stuff.

Two things struck me as being of particular interest: One was an area where people can bring in their rig for a gaming at the con. I've been to several cons and have never seen anything like it before. Naturally, this area was under constant security but it's impressive that people will bring their rig to a con just for it - but hey, it's a gaming con, right?

The other thing was a live-speed run, where a guy sought to beat Super Mario World in 100 minutes with a) 95 exits unlocked and b) without the cape. And he did it! I've heard that speed-runners are super insane at their chosen games but it see it done live is something else. As such, the player drew a large crowd and had people cheering him when he performed particular feats.

But in the end, for a con meant to be about the glory of gaming I spent little time around the 'new' stuff and more time running around taking photos of the cosplayers. It may not have been the intent of the con but hey, it worked for me.

So in the end, I had a great time at PAX but it is interesting to note that enjoyment had, once again, nothing to do with the latest games and/or tech. Telling much?

No comments:

Post a Comment