Monday, February 29, 2016

30 Years of Zelda

This year marks a significant gaming milestone: It is the thirtieth anniversary of the Legend of Zelda franchise! Yes, way back in 1986, a game called Legend of Zelda touched down on the NES and introduced us all to a character who isn't the one in the title.

I myself am delighted by this. Whilst I may have been late to the Legend of Zelda party I still have many fond memories of playing Link to the Past (you never forget your first Zelda game!) and I still acknowledge it as a personal fav. I may have gone off Zelda in recent years but I still hold the series in high regard.

But here's a thought: The twentieth anniversary of the Zelda series, 2006, gave us Twilight Princess - and, in the player guide I got (don't judge me!), it's revealed that the Princess Zelda in that game is  twenty years of age. A little meta joke to be sure but it does raise an interesting question: Would that make the Princess Zelda, in the upcoming WiiU game, thirty?

It may make for a bold idea for a Legend of Zelda game having a non-teenage/young adult Link and Zelda but that seems doubtful: After all, this is Nintendo and Nintendo aren't ones to readily challenge their 'family-friendly' image.
I mean, on one hand having an older Link and Zelda may make for a more 'adult' game (witness the star of Red Dead Redemption John Marston) that may address some issues well beyond what the Legend of Zelda series has tackled previously - but the series is, and always will be, one for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment