Monday, January 26, 2015

Its a Sony

Recently I contemplated investing in a PS4. Not for one it's games, God no, but for the PS1 and PS2 games available on the PSN. As is often the case with digital distribution, I like the idea of having a classic game readily available that I can continue to enjoy long after the original console has claimed by the march of time.

Thing is, I've built up a large number of PS2 and PS1 games over the years so this does raise the issue of whether or not all of them are available to the PS4 in one form or another.

So let's take a look:

PS1:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Darkstalkers: Night Warriors
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 9
Ghost in the Shell
Loaded
Metal Gear Solid
Raiden Project
Return Fire
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Wip3out


PS2:
Burnout 3
Final Fantasy 10
God of War
Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto 3
Hyper Street Fighter 2
Ico
Madden NFL 2004
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Slug Anthology
Okami
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2
Soulcalibur 3
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution


So we have seventeen games available out of twenty nine. And some of the omissions are glaring (No Return Fire?! But that game's great!). Geez Sony, you're not making a persuasive case for me to shell out for a PS4.

Okay seriously: I can see the appeal of having some of my favorite games readily available but I've spent hours on many of these games. In some cases I've achieved hard fought victories, other times I've achieved success through pure luck and other times still I've won through patience and careful planning (Final Fantasy X Sphere Grid anyone?). So is it worth doing it all over again?

Probably not

No comments:

Post a Comment