Monday, October 20, 2014

War was declared but nobody showed

Recently I saw Crusader Kings 2 for sale on Steam. I was aware of this game - however that was largely through the mod available that transforms the game into a replica of Game of Thrones. No matter: That reason alone would be enough to fork over ten bucks for it - the fact that it was on sale was another damn good reason.

Make no mistake: I love me some strategy games - but at the same time I find them a daunting beast. A lot of strategy games have this complexity to them that can come across as intimidating. Yes there is a lot to the game that is just waiting to be unlocked by the player and yes they are the type of game that can ensnare hours of willing investment from the player - but it is not readily apparent. I find that strategy games can very unfriendly to the newcomer and the player is required to embrace the game on the game's own terms - even if such an undertaking is, more often than not, an uphill struggle.
I recall playing Civ 2 a LOT back in the day and being pretty good at it. Thing is, I can't recall how I got where I did: I can't recall when I found out one crucial piece of information that changed the game completely and made me rejig my playing style. True a lot of my information on Civ 2 came from playing Civ 1 but how I obtained that knowledge has been lost to me.

Thus to come across strategy games like Crusder Kings 2 and even Rome Total War, is to face a completely new challenge. A new challenge of unlocking a game that could be worth my time and effort but only after I get on top of it when it's beating me down into submission. The mechanics are waiting there to be utilized but only when I get into the swing of things. My foes aren't unbeatable but they still need to be crushed effectively. So to confront a new strategy game is to learn how the game works (in a genre not known for newcomer friendliness) and to build a new playing style to fit - it's pretty much building the wheel all over again.

Still I am interested in continuing with Rome Total War and Crusader Kings 2 - indeed there is something satisfying about facing down a beast and taming it.
Plus there's the Game of Thrones mod - how can one refuse? (I  fro one am interested to see what will happen if I send Joffrey to The Wall...)

No comments:

Post a Comment