Friday, September 6, 2013

Bottom of the Barrel (no.4): Belial

It's been awhile since I'd last done one of these so lets talk some trash.
I want to tell you all about a game called Belial which appeared on the Commodore Amiga. Now, I may be cheating this time around as I've never played this game and only became aware of it through youtube. But what there is defies belief:

Original video located here. Accessed 6th September 2013

Where do I start? The entire game is a rip-off of Ghosts N Goblins! The graphics look terrible, the PC sprite is directly lifted from the Commodore 64 version of the game, the difficulty is absurd (perhaps more so than it's progenitor), the boss fights laughable and the whole thing stinks of being done by some pirates working out of their bedroom with a half-arsed approach and only concerned with sucking dollars from suckers.
But most striking of all is, for me, the music which is a recreation of Kraftwerk's 'Das Model'. Funny. i wouldn't have associated a song about consumerism to be associated with a horror-themed game. Mind you, it is peculiar to see this game from the passage of time - it looks bizarre, strange and, in a way, comical. Still, I hope Ralf Hutter took legal action...

No comments:

Post a Comment