Friday, May 3, 2013

We don't need no education

Some thought about the thorny issue of educational games:

To begin with: Do educational games have any purpose? Yes I can understand the value of presenting an learning activity in a new and exciting way that connect with the kids – but at the same time there is the idea of an educational game come across as an intrusion into something that the kids love. Indeed, take away the escapism that’s leagues away from school lessons and the kids will start smelling bullshit.
And that pretty much sums up the notion of educational games. I can imagine many kids retreating to their game devices at the end of a school day to forget everything they learned (I know I did) so to force them to think may result in resentment.

During my primary school years (1987-1993) I did play some computer games of educational value. I didn’t mind at the time because micro-computers were a ‘new thing’ at the time and it was fun learning how to use one. In addition, the games I used were simple BBC programs. One program I used was one that tested me on naming the locations of Tasmania. I enjoyed it, got a lot out of it, and never once did I feel like I was being preached to – indeed that was the only game that really succeeded in its goal but some of the other games at the time were either rubbish or of questionable educational value.

If anything, for an educational game to work it must present the educational value in a decent matter and be fun to play – a balancing act that is nothing short of tricky to pull off. But can it work? Well as long as the educational values aren’t shoved down the children’s throat, it challenges them to think and is fun to play it can.
Are there any games I can think of that achieve this balancing act?
Well the Civilization series is a prime example of presenting material in a manner that never feels patronizing. Indeed, reading up on the Civilopedia on the Wonders of the World and the scientific advancements was fascinating and never once was dull. It also helped that the game itself was heaps of fun to play, insanely addictive and encouraged my mind to work on a strategic level.
Peacemaker is another game worthy of mention. Through playing this game I learned more about the conflicts between Israel and Palestine than any news program and just how difficult making decisions for a nation can be. Okay sure there isn’t much of a game to speak of but when you’re waiting for an outcome with a mixture of anticipation and dread, you know you’ve done something right.
And continuing with the strategic theme, through playing Pharaoh I learned a lot about the history of ancient Egypt and made me keen to explore some more beyond what I already knew – a sign of success if ever there was one.

If anything for an educational game to work it would first need to come across as something fun and not as a pure educational exercise. And, based on what I‘ve written above, it would seem that strategic games are the best approach with making a game of educational value: It encourages the player to think and offers an opportunity to get one’s message across in a subtle manner.
I mean you wouldn’t use Gears of War as a basis for a game to convey mathematics….

No comments:

Post a Comment