Friday, December 9, 2011

Cursed Gate

Baldur's Gate 2 and I have something of a history. I love it, regard it as one of the finest games ever made Bioware's finest moment and the best representation of Dungeons and Dragons made in the history of gaming. It however doesn't seem to appreciate me as the player.

Now I've spoken about games that seem to resent me as the player but this is a different case. It would seem that everytime I want to play this game something happens that gets in the way. Could be it some kind of curse? I'm not so sure but no other game I've played has had so much bad luck attached to it.

Firstly, I purchased BG2 as part of the Baldurs Gate collection - the one that had both games and the two expansions (Tales of Sword Coast and Throne of Bhaal). At the time I was really excited to play these as I'd heard a lot about them and wanted to see an update to the D&D system I was familiar with through Pool of Radiance. But I foolishly purchased it online - thus when I finally got the collection itself, it turned out the main games were on DVD. A drive I sorely lacked.

Secondly, I finally got my claws on a DVD drive and burned up many, many hours in both Baldurs Gate and Baldur's Gate 2. Alas, the extensive use of the latter led to the disc getting damaged: A crack appeared along the side of the disc and only got bigger. So, however reluctantly, I had to throw it into the rubbish bin.

Thirdly there was that moment in BG1 where the game crashed at a particular moment but, as game's crashing is nothing new, there isn't much there to dwell upon...

And finally, I did eventually get a replacement disc for Baldur's Gate 2. Again it was a DVD but this time it didn't work: The entire game may be on a DVD but it still keeps demanding another CD-Rom!

So what now? I suppose I could get another disc of BG2 (making it my third) but considering the string of misfortune I've had, one would wonder why I'd bother...

No comments:

Post a Comment