Monday, December 5, 2011

Tainted Love

Whew, writing that serial about my favorite game music took a lot outta me. But no matter, I still have things to say and as long as there is a creative bone in my body, the typing shall resume.

On the weekend, I decided to give Dragon Age 2 another go - Not sure why though. Yes all the talk about it being more a side-story than a legitimate sequel has indeed some weight behind it, but I don't know: Maybe it's the hope of finding a diamond in the rough. Or maybe there's some XBLA achievements worth scooping up. Maybe....

But no matter, I've progressed into Act 2 and I've found some enjoyment - but I feel dirty for saying so because, to say you enjoy Dragon Age 2 is all very well but one can't ignore the flaws: namely the repetitive environments, the dull combat system and a lack of definable goal. But then again, I've seen similar arguments and passionate defending for both the games in the Final Fantasy series and Skies of Arcadia so I'm not really that bothered.

But I have to admit that this game has made something of an impression on me because I played through the The Long Road companion quest - and came away somewhat disappointed.
Far be it from me to give away spoilers but what this quest entails is that Aveline wants to get the attention of Donnic, a soldier she fancies and enlists the help of Hawke to allow it to happen. Throughout the quest, Hawke is allowed to act flirtatious towards Aveline but, ultimately, for little good.

Now a lot has been said that the cast of DA2 has been rather dull but I must admit I've had something of a liking for Aveline. There's something compelling about her, with her being forced into the role of the knight by her father, her dealing with the loss of her husband Wesley and her assistance to Hawke in being Captain of the Guards. And in spite of her no-nonsense approach, there is still some vulnerabilities about Aveline with her duties as captain and the awkwardness with Donnic. The latter deserves particular attention: She tries to get his attention but, frustratingly, remains oblivious towards any advances Hawke can make. But in the end this is, insofar, the most vulnerable Aveline has come across.
So it begs the question: Why couldn't I romance her? Merrill bores me, Isabella has.... been around and the gay romance doesn't really interest me. Aveline however seems a far more compelling option: In that she is a widower, awkward in romance and actually seems alone. With The Long Road quest, I did choose the flirtatious options as I was really interested in seeing this play out and whether or not Aveline would open her eyes.
But no, whatever romantic potential is reduced to her acting in an oblivious manner (maybe the widower romance was done with Jahiera in Baldur's Gate 2?). And you know what? I feel hurt by this: My Hawke is breaking his balls to help her in the romance stakes and she doesn't seem to care. And all he gets is what? A quick peck on the check?! Well screw you bitch! Have fun struggling to get Donnic's attention with the ghost of Wesley hanging over you! Hope you enjoy being a captain because that's all you're ever going to do! And hope you appreciate the company of thoughts of what could've been!!!!

Actually now that I think about it, when it comes to (hetero) romances, male Hawke gets a raw deal whilst female Hawke can hit on Fenris and Sebastian.
Hmmm, maybe next time I'll take a female Hawke....

No comments:

Post a Comment