Monday, August 29, 2011

Gold Mine

Well there's no escaping Minecraft: I've seen kids play it on the computers in my local library, I hear about friends playing it on Facebook and I've seen images of people using Minecraft to replicate the likes of the Starship Enterprise and the Kingdom of Hyrule. In fact such is this widespread use that it is arguable that Minecraft is less a game and more a building tool.

But what I find most interesting about Minecraft is that it's an unfinished game. Here we have a product that is notched thousands upon thousands of users and yet the game itself is still in development.
So I'll pause for a moment so we can all reflect on the irony that we have such a widely used unfinished game when the history of video gaming is littered with games that were released without being completed.















Anyway, an official release date has been issued for November of this year. But it makes me wonder: is there any point? Minecraft has already racked up plenty of users and has got a lot of mileage for an unfinished game. Will anyone buy the official release? Has everyone grown accustomed to those blocky/retro graphics that anything else wouldn't do at all? Indeed, considering the widespread use of Minecraft, it makes me wonder if anyone actually wants the game completed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment