Friday, October 30, 2015

Stocktake

Apparently since the announcement of the remake of Final Fantasy 7, SqueeEnix's shares have increased to their highest point in years.

I suppose this is what I always suspected: People want more Final Fantasy 7 and only more Final Fantasy 7. Who cares about anything else SqueeEnix have done? Who cares about the Final Fantasy's that aren't VII? Hell, who cares about the entire genre that is JRPG's?

And that is the last question that disturbs me the most: This is an entire gaming genre that has more or less crashed, and burned, into stagnation. With Final Fantasy 7 being the nadir of the genre it is also it's death knell: No one cares about any other games since and no other entrant in the genre has come close to matching the sales of Final Fantasy 7. True there have been other gaming genre's that may have suffered a lull that lasted for a painful amount of time, but they will always be resurrected by any bedroom developer and a devoted audience. But the JRPG hasn't had such a luxury.

Mind you, I have Trails of the Sky attached my Steam account for a long time without actually playing. Maybe it's time I should...

No comments:

Post a Comment