Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Driving me Backwards

As established previously in this blog, my teenage years were spent as an Amiga owner. Not for me the thrills of SNES, Megadrive or PS1. Nope, I had an Amiga 1200 and a very limited access to games and even less people to talk to. But no matter: I had some good times on the Amiga and was deeply fascinated by the Amiga being a vehicle for many bedroom developers having a crack at making their own games. Indeed, I've had a soft spot for the Amiga ever since.

The Amiga I owned was an Amiga 1200 - something of a big deal as it was marketed with an Advanced Graphics Architecture (AGA) chip that could boast a range of 256 colors over the previous range of 32. Whilst this presented some stunning graphics, for it's day, along with some beefed up hardware, a problem soon arose. For the Amiga 1200's predecessor, the Amiga 500, had enjoyed a large amount of success as a games machine - but due to the Amiga 1200's advanced specs, many of the programs wouldn't work. Some games got re-released with AGA tweaks whilst others flat refused to run - indeed, when determining compatibility was nothing more than trying one's luck with a 50-50 chance of success. This in turn resulted in some bad press for the Amiga 1200 and effected it's sales.

I am recounting all of this becuase I am reminded of it everytime I see this:



And they say history never repeats...

No comments:

Post a Comment