Monday, March 28, 2011

Ride the Dragon

Recently, I finally completed Dragon Age Origins (and just in time for it’s sequel too!).


Needless to say I was quite impressed with the ending: I enjoyed the final victory scene where my efforts paid off and seeing the characters in my party planning to go onto to other things. But the real treat came with the epilogue where the effects of the player’s actions are now made clear – The world of Ferelden has been forever changed with many of decisions made having long-lasting effects. But I found particularly interesting is the repercussions that these decisions led to: Many of the ‘good’ decisions couldn’t last and eventually led into disaster whilst many of the ‘bad’ decisions actually had some good come of them (eventually). Indeed, I really liked the notion on how the world can be changed and how these changes may influence the sequels to Dragon Age. Thus whilst my character ending up messing up Ferelden completely, it is then left to Hawke to go and pick up the pieces.

Ultimately I enjoyed Dragon Age a lot. The writing was great, the action was fun and the characters entertaining in their own right. The plot, whilst leaning onto the tried and tested Bioware formula, still was compelling enough to see me follow it all the way to the end. There may be no more Baldur’s Gate but Dragon Age is the closest we’re ever going to get to a D&D-esque RPG. And to that end, it’s a success.

So what can Dragon Age 2 do? Only time will tell….

No comments:

Post a Comment