Monday, June 13, 2016

Know Thine Enemy

Still playing Xcom: Enemy Unknown

I'm enjoying this game a lot. Much like the original, I'm finding a lot of atmosphere, the combat intense and myself getting attached to my grunts. And much like the original, I'm having a difficult time trying to micro-manage everything and finding it all going downhill rather quickly.

I know I tend to treat remakes with a degree of caution but in this case, I couldn't help myself but love this game. True it may have an uphill climb living up to the original but I'm finding some elements which are actual improvements. I like having the one base as it dials back the micro-managing significantly (not that I was any good at it in the first place). I like having an interface that actually explains what I'm doing. I like having a reduced number of soldiers to take out onto the field as it provides a degree of focus. I like the soldier customization. I like how this game is more welcoming to the newcomer and provides a clearer picture of what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.

It may be heresy to say so but I doubt I will returning to the original any time soon.
Unless, of course, I truly want a challenge....

No comments:

Post a Comment