Friday, June 3, 2011

Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Those who have been following my posts on the Rock Band series may suspect that I have RB on both the Wii and the Xbox 360. And I can confirm this: yes I have RB2 for the Wii and Rock Band 1+2+3 for the Xbox 360.

Why the same game on multiple system? Well, it was more accident than design (thankfully). In 2009, I attended an EB Games con in Melbourne where they had live Rock Band on stage, offered to anyone willing to go up and have a go. A promise of a prize was on offer to anyone willing to make an arse of themselves who rocked out. I went up dressed as a Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 and performed a blistering performance of Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl. And I won a prize. I told the people running the event I had a Wii as it was the only current-gen console I had at the time. I had no idea what the prize in question will be but I certainly wasn't expecting a complete RB set with game, mike, guitar and drumkit! (yes I've told this story before but what the hell - It's one I'll never tire of telling!)
But eventually a problem arose: the Wii didn't offer backwards compatibility/exportation with any of the other RB titles. Sure I had some DLC to show for it but it also meant missing out on some other cool songs. So when RB3 came around, I got all three of the titles for the 360.

Looking back, I'm not sure if this was a wise move. Sure the graphics on the 360 make it difficult to go back to the Wii but there is also the troubling thought that I would need to go back and download all my favored songs all over again. Sure I have my exportation feature but the Wii can let anyone pick up an instrument and play - without any of the profile building nonsense that can delay the fun.

Indeed, I have a whole lotta dead money on my wii and going through the DLC again means a whole lot more money going up in smoke.
Still, would this be a surprise to any gamer? just think twenty years ago, people were playing a LOT of money for SNES/Megadrive games, whereas now you can pick them up for a few dollars. Makes you wonder if the DLC for Rock Band will be any good some five/ten and a number of sequels later....

No comments:

Post a Comment