Monday, June 27, 2011

Rock your socks off

This weekend I've gone back to Rock Band 3 and made some more progression - well, I received no interruptions by the neighbors who were mistaking my singing for someone being strangled.

However, considering my recent rant about the value of gaming achievements I must admit I have caught myself playing a game exclusively for increasing my XBLA points total. That's right: I was doing something superficial and having no fun at all doing so.
Most of the achievements I took it upon myself to do were all based on the DLC - so I was downloaded new songs for the sake of my Xbox doing that be-boop sound. So yes: I was paying money just to boost my XBLA points total. Tragic indeed but I doubt I'm the only one whose done this. But if people are encouraged to do such a thing it is a troubling sign indeed.

But going back to the lack of fun part: It came into play through doing singing songs that were simply not fun to do. In this case, the song was awful and doing it was not really generating any enjoyment at all. And if the game is not being fun then something has gone horribly wrong.
Still there is no reason why I can't have fun through messing things up. Although I find the presence of many non-English speaking European acts on RB3 puzzling (especially when you think that many people playing this game most likely have a second language beyond native English), it does present an opportunity to mess with it the concept. I sing Manu Chaos without singing properly and got a really high score. I sang New Wave (Pleymo) with the non-singing parts done with Daft Punk.

Indeed, there is much amusement value in singing some French metal song with: "One more time / we're gonna celebrate / oh yeah / oh right / don't stop the dancing..."

No comments:

Post a Comment