Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Out of Time

Here's a blast from the past - The intro to Time Crisis 2:



I remember seeing this when I was in high school and honestly? I thought the set up was dumb. So some nutter wants to launch a nuclear satellite to take over the world or some bollocks? And these two dudes are going through exotic locals and blowing dudes away to stop him?
Yes that scenario was a steal from the James Bond movies but really, that franchise has been repeating itself for yonks. It makes me wonder why the makers of Time Crisis didn't try something different.

See, when I first saw that intro, I immediately thought: Wouldn't it be cool if it was one big misunderstanding? Think about it! The player gets to the end of the game and the rug is pulled out from under them: The satellite network was actually beneficial to the Earth, The villain turned out to be a noble benefactor, the damsel-in-distress wasn't in any kind of danger and the intelligence was misled. Thus the two agents, not to mention YOU the player, have come across as incompetents who just ruined everything for no better reason.

Mind you, games these days force a player has to consider their actions, challenge the player's perceptions and lead them on only to turn around and break convention.
Maybe I was thinking way ahead of my time....

No comments:

Post a Comment