Monday, October 18, 2010

It Takes Two

As some of you may know, I do have a significant other in my life: Like many other relationships, we bonded over similar interests, namely anime and video games. Thanks to my partner I have an interest in the Xbox (a console I had previously little to do with) and I've had an attentive audience watching me play games.

Strangely, we've never really played a game together. This may seem strange as we both love gaming and playing a game together is something couples do (or at least should do). Thing is, the games we like aren't really of a two player variety. Indeed, the games we've really played together are few in number: Rock Band, Singstar and Super Mario World (note how all bar one are music games)

We both enjoy the Bioware RPG's. I loved Baldur's Gate and was determined to play Dragon Age Origins as soon as I saw it. My partner meanwhile was won over through playing Mass Effect and completed Dragon Age Origins well before me. The thing is, RPG's are really a one player game: there is no room for a second player to come in. Fable may present a second player option true but the role of the second player is reduced to that of an underling.

I would like to see an RPG where a second player can come in. It may seem a tall order seeing as RPG's are all about making decisions and fashioning character development in a way that stays with the player throughout the entire game but why not? True RPG's are usually a one player game but consider Final Fantasy X: The main character is Tidus but he isn't the driving force of the man quest - Yuna is. I would like to see conversations between two player characters where two people are individually selecting responses. I would like to see one player character doing something that will ultimately effect the other player character. I would like to see two people going off an doing separate sidequests at the same time. I would like to see two people playing the same RPG and making choices via connected consoles. We have the processing power so why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment