Friday, October 22, 2010

I come from a land down under

I finally got the chance to sit down and play Mass Effect 2. I have really high hopes for this (which is never a good thing) having enjoyed the first one a lot and seeing this one being played by someone else. Thankfully, what has transpired in the game so far has been quite promising - so I guess it's fair to say that I'm hooked.

What I have found quite striking is Miranda: Who sports an Australian accent big enough to drive an APC through. Speaking as an Australian, it is indeed interesting to hear Australian voices in games (Final Fantasy XIII being another example) but at the same time, I strangely find it rather cringing. If anything, it changed my perception of Miranda around completely: I will admit her looks caught my eye but at the same time, it doesn't really match her voice.

But I don't know: Do Australians sound like that? Can some of my US readers confirm this? It sounds bizarre hearing my native accent on screen like that - and personally I hate hearing recordings of my voice as it makes me sound like bigger nerd than I already am - but then again, anyone from any culture would think they sound normal when everyone else sounds weird.

It's great to see some Australian voice acting in games but I would rather someone who sounds more like Geoffrey Rush or Nick Cave than Steve Irwin any day...

No comments:

Post a Comment