Friday, October 1, 2010

All in Good Time

Another game has been struck down from my Hall of Shame: Prince of Persia Sands of Time.


This one has been a long time coming in completion: I have played this game on and off at random intervals since 2006. Call it a long time between drinks yes but not without good reason. Like most people, I enjoyed the platforming jumping, the time-shifting mechanic, the puzzle-solving, the well-realised script and the interactions between the Prince and Farah. But at the same time, again like most people, I found the combat to be complete rubbish.

Indeed, this is worth dwelling on becuase for me it was a game killer: The combat sections are stiff, dull and come across as a chore to play. It is particularly irritating that, with each sequence, you keep killing the same guys over and over again as they keep coming back for whatever reason. It's also annoying that you get swamped quite easily by the baddies and getting knocked down only once leaves you unable to prevent a second, or third, blow coming down and beating you into a pulp. Particular contempt is held in the 81% mark where the Prince and Farah are attacked whilst riding a elevator. In such a confined space, the Prince needs to defeat the baddies and make sure they don't take out Farah at the same time. This was a particularly infuriating moment for me and many failed attempts to clear it turned me off the game for many months.

Ultimately though, this assessment is doing nothing more than reiterating what has been said before: The combat in PoP:Sot is crap but everything works well. But for me, the combat failing is a such a fatal error. True, I enjoyed Sands of Time on numerous levels but I don't see myself rushing back to play it again (and I'm not touching the sequels either).

Oh well, easy come easy go.

No comments:

Post a Comment