Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Put on a trenchcoat

Today I installed Deus Ex to my hard drive with the intention of playing it (not that's much else you can do with a game). Funny, it's been sitting on my shelf for a very long time and it's only now I've decided to take a look. Of course, it's not easy to take a game boasting ten year old graphics seriously but I'm still keen.

Strangely enough, when the title came up, along with that unforgettable opening theme, I immediately began singing along using the words Yahtzee came up with (see the Zero Punctuation review of Guitar Hero World Tour if you have no idea what I'm talking about). It's strange: I had not played the game before and yet I was already connected with it through the satirical videos of a grumpy web critic. It was one of those things that just happen - and I'm certain I'm not the only one who has done this.



All together now:

"...Put on a trenchcoat
and fight some conspiracies
Get experience
and level up abilities
Will you pick rifles
or computers?
Don't pick swimming, because
it's fairly useless
It's a shooter
and a role-playing game
The levels are ugly
and everyone looks the same
We're not the same Ion Storm
that made Daikatana
Our games are good
and they
stay on schedule

We made a sequel
that no-one liked
'cos we dumbed it down too much
'cos we're thick..."

No comments:

Post a Comment