Monday, July 19, 2010

Don't doubt what he can do, Sonic the Hedgehog

I recently had the pleasure for striking another game from my Hall of Shame. This one being Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

I loved the Sonic games when I was a kid. I remember seeing them on the Megadrive and being blown away by the speed of it all, the agile abilities of the lead, the swanky graphics and the unforgettably catchy tunes.


 Playing it nearly twenty years later, I'm amazed to see they actually hold up pretty well. Like a fine wine, Sonic's Megadrive games have aged well and are still damn fun to play. Sure, Sonic's recent games have been total rubbish and the 8-bit games were just as bad (I am of course playing Sonic 2 off the PS2 Collection disc) but playing Sonic now was just as fun and pleasurable as it was when I was a young lad.

It's does seem unfortunate that Sonic has had many more failures than hits - I personally am fuming that the Gems Collections had those crummy 8-bit outings when they could've had Knuckles Chaotix or the Sonic Arcade Game. But I've always had a soft spot for the blue guy and I'm just glad that the Sonic games that did work were truly tremendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment