Monday, April 13, 2020

Ratting it out

Recently I completed a second run-through of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (FC). No reasoning beyond a) it's a great game and b) achievement hunting.
However in playing this game again I am reminded of one of the grips I have with it: I am following a very rigid path with little opportunity to deviate from. Thus it makes achievement hunting quite a challenge with so much stuff having the potential to be missed and the game becoming something of a battle between a player who wants to do their own thing and a DM who is furious that the player isn't going where they should be.

More recently however, I have been playing Vermintide 2 with the intention of leveling up so I can keep the pace with my gaming buddies. And in order to level up quickly, it seems that I need to grab so many collectables in each mission (ie tomes). And it suits me fine as I take a methodical approach to game playing and am willing to take the time to pick up certain details - which is subsequently at odds with the design of Vermintide which demands the player act fast and not hang around. As sch, Vermintide comes across as a battle who between a player who wants to do their own thing and a DM who is furious that the player isn't going where they should be.

Personally, finding similarities between Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Vermintide 2 is absolutely hilarious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment